Galapagos Ecological Airport, located on Baltra Island, received the prestigious "LEED Gold" certification, granted by the US Green Building Council to the best sustainable constructions in the world.

 

It is the first airport in the world to receive this recognition as a complete construction. It is the highest certification of its kind that currently exists. Furthermore, the airport is located on the Galapagos Islands, declared a World Heritage Site and also considered a sensitive ecosystem.

 

One of the most striking features of the Galapagos Ecological Airport is that it works 100% with renewable energy (solar and wind energy), 35% generated by photovoltaic panels installed on the walkways, and the remaining 65% by windmills located in strategic sites within the airport, according to America Corporation, the international holding that conceived, built and operates the Galapagos Ecological Airport.

 

"LEED" stands for Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design, a certification system for sustainable buildings.

 

Photo: Courtesy of Galapagos Ecological Airport

Share this post

Submit to DiggSubmit to FacebookSubmit to Google PlusSubmit to StumbleuponSubmit to TechnoratiSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn